Financial Assistance

There are many available utility assistance programs for DC Water Consumers and individuals living in a multi-unit (4 or more units) building. We identified the programs that DC government and DC Water created in response to COVID 19 and outstanding balances.

COVID 19- Emergency Relief Fund DC Water CARES and Stay DC


STAY DC is a financial assistance program for D.C. renters and housing that covers housing and utility expenses, such as rent, gas, water, and electric bills. In order to be eligible for this program, you must be a renter or resident of a limited equity cooperative in Washington, D.C. who meets household income requirements, has a financial hardship during COVID-19 and faces housing instability. Housing providers may also initiate an application for a residential tenant they feel may qualify. Please, review the eligibility requirements here. Renters whose landlords do not participate in the program or who normally make payments directly to utilities may be able to have assistance go straight to their utility companies.

Renters and housing providers can apply for rental and electric, gas and water bill assistance at Applicants can call the STAY DC Call Center at 833-4-STAYDC for support throughout their application process, Monday through Friday from 7 am to 7 pm.


During the public health emergency, DC Government authorized funding to provide emergency relief to District residents struggling with unpaid DC Water bills during the public health emergency and 105 days thereafter. Eligible households may receive up to $2,000 for outstanding bills. DC Water approved $3 million in water assistance for FY 2021 and an additional $5 million in aid in FY 2022.

Eligible consumers must apply through DOEE by submitting a CRIAC Residential Relief Income. Eligible consumers must have an OUTSTANDING BALANCE and their annual income cannot exceed 80% Area Median Income, which is around $100,000 of annual income for a family of four. It is important to reiterate that consumers must have an outstanding balance, consumers cannot apply for funds to pay a current bill. Also, in a fiscal year (October to September) consumers may apply multiple times for the assistance but cannot exceed the $2,000 limit.


DC Water’s new Multifamily Assistance Program allows DC Water to assist people who don’t directly pay their water bills to DC Water, but who nevertheless may be struggling due to the pandemic. District residents who reside in multi-family buildings (4 or more units) are eligible and can apply for the program. If the tenant applies for assistance, the property owner must complete an application and agree to the terms of the program. The property owner will agree to post 90% of the credit from the utility assistance to the qualifying occupant’s rental account. for the program.

For more information on DC Water Care- Multifamily Assistance Program, please visit DC Water Cares- MAP. Also, please submit any questions regarding the program to DC Water at (202) 354-3750 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

DC Water Customer Assistance Program (CAP)

Since 2009, DC Water has implemented the Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge or CRIAC to recoup the costs of the federally mandated $2.7 billion Clean Rivers Project to reduce combined sewer overflow or CSO into District waterways.

DC Water ratepayers can apply through the Department of Energy and Environment for monthly discounts for the Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge (CRIAC). The value of the monthly discounts depends on the consumer’s income. Please call 311 for application questions and to receive a status update on the application process.

How to apply for the CAP?

  • Online: CRIAC Residential Relief Application
  • Email your application and documentation toThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Mail your application to

Attn: CRIAC Residential Relief Program,
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002

What are the required documents to apply for the CAP Program?

Pictures or scans of the following documents are required:

  • Recent proof of income (pay stub, Social Security statement, proof of termination or unemployment, etc.)
  • Government-issued, photo identification (license, passport, etc.)
  • Recent DC Water bill
  • If the DC Water bill is not in a household member’s name, you must include proof of property ownership or a lease agreement indicating proof of responsibility for water charges
  • Complete and signed CRIAC Residential Relief Application

If you need assistance with the CRIAC application for the CAP Program, please call OPC’s Hotline at 202-727-3071 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. For more information on the CAP Program, please visit DOEE’s website-

Serving People by Lending a Supporting Hand (SPLASH)

SPLASH is a DC Water program that helps customers maintain critical water and sewer service during financial emergencies.

SPLASH is administered by the Greater Washington Urban League. Call the GWUL at (202) 427-4100 or visit for more information.